Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Kids Are Napping, Lets Paint a Brick Fireplace White.

 This fireplace just sucks the life out of the basement. It's dark and its right where your eye goes when you come down stairs. I knew it had potential so I decided to paint it up. I had painted the one in my living room upstairs so this project wasnt intimidating. I had looked at so many online images when I was thinking about doing the one upstairs. It really worried me the first time. I was so unsure and kept thinking it would just be a daunting task. If you're thinking of painting a brick fireplace, rest easy! Its not hard and you will be so happy when you're finished. The cost of this project is $0.00! I had all the paint already and just used an old roller and paint brush. I also have black spray paint that I'll use to spray the fireplace screen. The space above the fireplace will be completely covered up by an art project I have in the works. I'll post pictures of the project later on for you too.
You've seen the before....Can't get worse than that right?! So here it is with just the coat of primer. Getting better already...

 And here it is with the final coat of paint. I painted it with one of my favorite whites. Saffron Ivory by Valspar. I went with a satin, but as you can tell it's not shiny at all.

 
Be sure to move any rugs you don't want to get paint on because when you start rolling on the paint it will splatter. Or maybe I'm just a messy painter?
 Really LOAD UP the paint brush. Don't be afraid to get paint on your hands either. Use a really old paint brush because you're going to ruin it. The brick is rough and it's just the nature of the game. You have to get the paint into all the pores and grooves and that is hard on a brush. Fun though!
 Roll on the paint any chance you get. Load that roller up too. I was able to roll most of this fireplace and then used the brush for the cracks.
 Ok - I mixed primer on this project. I had a little in each can. As long as you stick with the same type - in this case water based primer - then your fine.

 
 
AND HERE IS THE UPSTAIRS FIREPLACE PROJECT
BEFORE
 AFTER

I hope you've enjoyed this post. If you're looking for inspiration to paint a brick fireplace there are lots of images out there. I found it helpful to Google "Painted brick fireplace" and then I just browsed through the images. What do you think of the almost finished project?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just so you know - I think you're RAD for commenting!