Friday, May 13, 2011

Our Master Bedroom Makeover

The master bedroom really is one of the most important rooms in the house, but it's often the most neglected room. I feel that if you're going to sleep in a room for that long, and if it's going to be the first thing your eyes wake up to in the morning, then you should put some effort into making it a room that inspires, soothes, and relaxes you. Our master bedroom is that room for us. I love making my bed in the morning because the colors alone make me happy. I also love waking up in my bedroom because the first thing I see when I roll out of bed are pictures of our family on our picture ledge. It's a small room, very small room. Technically its not a master bedroom of course. There is no bathroom and it's not even the biggest room. For Dan and I though - it's everything we need in a bedroom right now. Sure a bathroom would be awesome but really I love brushing my teeth with my daughter and she LOVES to watch me take off my make up and put it on. I'm pretty sure our family would only use one bathroom even if we did have 2 upstairs so I'm o.k. with the way things are.
OUR BEDROOM BEFORE
 
There were 60 year old curtains in the room and really dirty walls. With a little elbow grease, and some paint the room now looks like this....
 AFTER

 The black and white pillows were from Ikea $12, the yellow pillow is from Target $25 and the shams are from KMart $2 each on clearance (in April 2009).  The lamps were from TJ Maxx $12 each on clearance (with the shades - SCORE!). The end tables are from Walmart $30. Curtains from JC Penny $30 pair. Curtain rod Lowes $18 clearance find. The mirror is from Craigslist $35 that I spray painted with a couple layers of colors. For more of the details see my DIY Mirror project

 All the frames are from Ikea. The most expensive one was $9.99 I believe. The wall color is Dolphin Fin by Beher in Flat and the blue accent at the top is a mix of sample paints that I created. The throw is an Ikea find as well for $12.99 and the toy box at the end of the bed is now painted for my mini mudroom makeover.



 This is the last piece of the makeover for me to complete. I've painted all the trim and baseboards white now I just need to find a long 6 drawer dresser thats not too deep that I can paint white. This dresser is an heirloom of my mother in laws so it has to stay this way. Once I find the dresser it will go where the mirror is and then the mirror and a sitting chair will be in the closet for a mini sitting and dressing area.


What do you think of the bedroom. Aside from being small it's pretty much everything I need for a bedroom. Thanks for checking out my blog!

2 comments:

  1. I love your bedroom. I'm really struggling with what to do for the walls in my bedroom. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally HP- I know it can be a daunting room since it's the place you will be waking up in and its also an important room to help set the mood for the rest of your day. If you have a thrift store in your area I'd check it out. See if you can find 4 frames of equal depth and thickness and then spray paint them all white or black or maybe silver! Then add a few favorite photos and then you will at least have one wall done. I think the bigger the frame- the better. Another idea for an empty wall is a large mirror just propped up and leaning against the wall. You may get lucky and find one at a thrift store or you can make your own by framing out and old mirrors closet door. Good luck! Thank you for your sweet compliment too!

    ReplyDelete

Just so you know - I think you're RAD for commenting!