Friday, May 13, 2011

Craigslist Mirror Transformation: Gold be Gone!

I've been scoring craigslist for awhile trying to find a mirror for our bathroom makeover. I love eclectic and colorful mirrors and will often see images on peoples blogs of gold mirrors they've found that they had spray painted hot pink or bright yellow. With a budget of $30 I started looking. I found a few that werent big enough and then I found this baby! Gold, huge and close to the right price $75. HAHA! So i offered $30 and figured he'd never get back to me, but low and behold he called me right back and said he'd take $35. Get this though - He also delivered it for free! Amazing.

So here's my find BEFORE

 I taped off the edges and got ready to paint. It's a heavy sturdy piece. I love that it only cost us $30!
 
AFTER
 
The Process to Get There

 First I spray painted it with Krylon "Catalina Mist". Such a beautiful color!
 
Then I spray painted it with Rust-Oleum Flat white. I wanted the mirror to have a layered effect. Later I will sand off some of the white in areas to expose the sea foam green/blue color. 
 

With spray paint, the key is PATIENCE. Spray very light coats multiple times. You only have to wait about 1-2 minutes between coats. This mirror took one whole can of each. The total cost for this project was $35. Yep, the cost of the mirror. I had a free $10 coupon off $10 spent at ACE hardware. I got it when i registered my new change of address so my spray paint was FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just so you know - I think you're RAD for commenting!